Important Covid-19 information
Request a Demo

Current News

Oysters Recalled In Parts Of Canada Due To Toxins That Can Cause Paralysis. The recalled product was sold in Ontario, B.C. and Alberta.



The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has just released a recall across parts of Canada for Pacific Oysters that contain a marine biotoxin that can cause Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning. The CFIA warns that this biotoxin could cause paralysis within hours if eaten. Anyone who owns these oysters should discard of them immediately and not consume them.

The CFIA warns certain pacific oysters are being recalled through Ontario, British Columbia, and Alberta. Batches of Union Bay Seafood and Intercity Packers oysters are being recalled after the CFIA conducted a food safety investigation that showcased some of these oysters contained this marine biotoxin.

The oysters that are part of this recall were all harvested after July 14, 2019. Meaning, that anything that was purchased or eaten before this date was not included in this recall. All oysters that are recalled were also sold in five dozen packaging.

The CFIA warns that this paralytic shellfish toxin is something that can accumulate in certain shellfish including oysters, clams, mussels, and scallops. If this biotoxin is ingested by a human it can cause Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning which can cause tingling and numbness in the lips, tongue, hand, and feet.

The CFIA also warns that other symptoms of this toxin may include difficulty swallowing anywhere from minutes to ten hours after consumption.

In severe cases, this poisoning can also cause muscle paralysis, respiratory paralysis, walking difficulties, and even death.

The CFIA warns anyone who may have purchased this product in Canada should check the labels to see if your product is affected by this recall. All recalled products should be thrown out or returned to the store where they were purchased.

The CFIA also warns that these products should not be eaten under any circumstances. BC Centre for Disease Control also states that these products should also not be given to your pets.

BC Centre for Disease Control states that in non-severe cases of this poisoning, symptoms will usually resolve within a few days or hours after the shellfish ingestion. There is currently no antidote for this poisoning.