First it was 5, now 19 sick in E. coli outbreak linked to Edmonton restaurant
barfblog by Doug Powell, April 5, 2018
The number of people sickened with E. coli after eating at a southeast Edmonton restaurant has climbed to 19, including two who have developed symptoms serious enough to be admitted to hospital, Alberta Health Services said Thursday.
Thatís a jump of 13 cases from a week ago, when the health authority announced the discovery of the first cluster of infections among people who ate at Mama Nitaís Binalot restaurant.
Keith Gerein of the Edmonton Journal reports itís believed at least some of those new cases are among restaurant staff.
Patrons were infected with E. coli O157:H7, which can produce diarrhea that may be bloody.
Public health officials are warning anyone who has dined at Mama Nitaís since March 15 to see a doctor if they have symptoms, and mention they may have been exposed to E. coli.
A spokesperson for the restaurant could not be reached for comment.
Hereís a comment: Use a thermometer.